Florida Seeks To Outlaw Social Media For Teens

HB-1 Passes State Legislatures, Awaiting Final Votes and Governor Approval
Social media is a hot topic among teens in the Sunshine State.
First Amendment Under Fire As HB-1 Passes First Legislative Hurdle, Heads to State Senate
Many teens spend hours a day on social media, leading to heightened screen time and added stress.
A World Without Social Media: How Would That Impact Today’s Teens?
Many teens spend hours a day on social media, leading to heightened screen time and added stress. (The Morning News)
Spending time helping the environment (and getting community service hours), is a great alternative to screen time.
Embracing Life Without Social Media: Five Alternatives to Screen Time
HB-1’s sponsor, Republican Rep. Tyler Sirois, announces the social media ban in a press release in January.
Studies Show That Social Media Might Not Be the Culprit Behind Teens’ Deteriorating Mental Health
HB-1’s sponsor, Republican Rep. Tyler Sirois, announces the social media ban in a press release in January. (WUSF)
Social Media could be used as a weapon, or used to connect with friends and others online. “Social media is good because you can connect with your friends on your phone, and taking away social media from kids under 16 is tough for them. They can’t even drive yet, so taking away another way for them to communicate hurts them,” sophomore Drew Sterling shared.
“Will HB-1 Hurt Kids Socially if Signed by the Governor?” An Obvious Yes.
Social Media could be used as a weapon, or used to connect with friends and others online. “Social media is good because you can connect with your friends on your phone, and taking away social media from kids under 16 is tough for them. They can’t even drive yet, so taking away another way for them to communicate hurts them,” sophomore Drew Sterling shared. (Reid Waxman)
Gov. Ron Desantis discusses his viewpoints on social media and technology use.
Florida Joins Large Group of States Attempting to Ban Social Media
Gov. Ron Desantis discusses his viewpoints on social media and technology use. (Carl Juste/Miami Herald, via Associated Press)
From left to right: Jason Cintron (CEO of Discord), Evan Spiegel (CEO and Founder of Snapchat), Shou Zi Chew (CEO of TikTok), Linda Yaccarino (CEO of X), and Mark Zuckerberg (CEO, Chairman, and Founder of Meta) testify to the United States Congress regarding  child safety on their social media platforms.
Many CEOs of Large Social Media Platforms Testified to the United States Senate in a Deposition on January 31st Regarding Child Safety on Social Media
From left to right: Jason Cintron (CEO of Discord), Evan Spiegel (CEO and Founder of Snapchat), Shou Zi Chew (CEO of TikTok), Linda Yaccarino (CEO of X), and Mark Zuckerberg (CEO, Chairman, and Founder of Meta) testify to the United States Congress regarding child safety on their social media platforms. (AP)
Above is the Instagram account Mackenzie Bryan runs for her club volleyball account. Having this account gives her the exposure necessary to attract coaches attention.
New Florida Social Media Bill Poses A Significant Obstacle For The Recruitment Process
Above is the Instagram account Mackenzie Bryan runs for her club volleyball account. Having this account gives her the exposure necessary to attract coaches’ attention.
House Speaker Paul Renner, proponent of HB1, gives 2024 legislative session opening remarks explaining how parental rights won’t be violated.
Differing Opinions: A Look At The Proponents and Opponents Of Florida House Bill One
Social media should not be banned amongst teens because its benefits outweighs its issues.
Social media should not be banned amongst teens because its benefits outweighs its issues. (THE Journal)
Young influencer holding her video camera, making content for her social media.
How Would Florida’s Social Media Ban Affect Young Influencers?
Young influencer holding her video camera, making content for her social media. (AdAge)