Women’s History Month

March has given the world an opportunity to celebrate the women that have greatly impacted every community for the better. Women have made strides in all aspects of life, ranging from the arts to politics to a multitude of other professions.

Matthew Marasco, Staff Writer

When someone thinks of the most meaningful months of the year, they usually think of March for Women’s History Month. The most celebrated struggle that women have gone through in history include the women’s rights movement that led to the 19th Amendment, passed in 1920.

The celebration of women’s history started as a local celebration in Santa Rosa, California before word spread around the country, leading to President Jimmy Carter proclaiming the week of March 8 as Women’s History Week. 

When making his proclamation he exclaimed, “From the first settlers who came to our shores, from the first American Indian families who befriended them, men and women have worked together to build this nation. Too often the women were unsung and sometimes their contributions went unnoticed. But the achievements, leadership, courage, strength, and love of the women who built America were as vital as that of the men whose names we know so well.”

Later on, in 1987, Congress passed public law 100-9 which made it so Women’s History Week would be changed to Women’s History Month. This was yet another monumental event in the celebration of how far the rights of women had changed in the 19th century.

Some events that led to Women’s History Month included the Seneca Falls convention, which was the first women’s rights meeting. This was significant because women’s rights activists such as Susan B. Anthony encouraged the other women to start boycotting society’s standards. This was inevitably the start of the women’s suffrage movement. Another event that showed how women stood up for themselves when society was against them was Amelia Bloomer’s boycott of the standard for women’s dress in the early 19th century. Instead of wearing a traditional outfit that covered up most of the women’s body, the “Bloomers” exposed women’s legs for the first time, this was better for the health of the women as well as making a statement.

Now, in 2021 women make up 46.8% of the labor force, 14.4% of the military, and 24% of Congress. This shows how far women have come, as they were previously only accepted in society to tend to their families and husbands.

In 2022, you can celebrate Women’s History Month in March with the theme of promoting hope and providing healing for all affected by the vast discrimination against women throughout history.

At Benjamin, Women’s History Month is celebrated every year, usually mainly spearheaded by the Diversity Council.

Not only does the Diversity Council take pride in celebrating the month, most Buccaneers also value the month, including sophomore Bella Baker.

“I think women’s history month is very important because it makes you realize what women have gone through throughout their history. Although I did not experience the hardships of my ancestors, I still believe it is important that we relieve what they had to go through to learn from it. Overall, I am excited to celebrate the many accomplishments made by women in history in March,” she said.