Baseball Team Loses Early In Postseason Run, Shock and Disapointment For Players

Junior Rocco Gaeta winds up, as he prepares to swing. Gaeta was an important part to the team’s turnaround in the latter half of the season.

Joey Tomassetti, Editor-in-Chief

After a fairly successful season, the boys baseball team’s year came to a close on May 11, after a 11-4 loss in the Regional Quarterfinals to Cardinal Newman High School.

Seniors Jake Haggard and Max Joy led the team in hits with 22 each, while Haggard and Joy led the team in other categories as well. The team got some solid outings from their pitching staff, led by junior Freddy Beruvides with a 3.25 ERA in ten appearances. 

Benjamin had a six game losing streak earlier in the season, but they bounced back by winning three straight games and five of their next eight games overall. This bounce back gave them supreme confidence heading into districts, and this confidence was only fueled by nearly a week of rest heading into the game, but the team ultimately came up short to their rival King’s Academy 4-3. Then, about a week after Districts, Benjamin’s loss to Cardinal Newman effectively ended their season, preventing them from winning a regional championship despite losing their shot at the district trophy.

Sophomore Shane Giaimo believes that Benjamin struggled against Cardinal Newman for a variety of reasons that ultimately held them back from taking home the victory.

“We couldn’t pull out the win mainly because our pitching wasn’t as strong as it could have been. It didn’t help that our hitting couldn’t keep up with theirs either. Around the fifth inning, the game got out of our hands,” said Giaimo.

Giaimo explains how the expectation amongst the players was that they were going to make a deep playoff run because of the overall talent on the roster.

“We definitely thought we were going to make it deeper into the playoffs. Unfortunately, due to some of our key guys being injured, we fell short of our goal. Honestly, this is probably the best the team has looked on paper in about five years,” said Giaimo. 

Sophomore Jake Figman felt that there were multiple significant memories from this season,including was the team’s thrilling comeback on senior night, where they overcame a nine point deficit and the tough effort that they exemplified against Cardinal Newman.

“One of my favorite moments was on senior night when we came back down 9-2 against Jupiter Christian and ended up winning 13-12. Another great moment was during the regionals game against Cardinal Newman where we really came together as a team, even though we lost,” said Figman.

Additionally, Figman thinks that the team is bound to be improved next season, largely in part due to all of the injuries that the team had suffered over the course of this season.

“Our goal for next year is to make it to states because we were only three wins away from states this year, considering how injury ridden we were. If we’re at full health next year, we will be a very hard team to beat,” said Figman.

Even though it was a “disappointing” season for most, it looks like Benjamin’s baseball team is in good shape for next year as long as poor health does not get in the team’s way of success, like it did for them this year. With the departure of seniors such as Jake Haggard and Max Joy, it will be important for players to step up for the team in their quest to capture a state title. Luckily, with the immensely talented team, it shouldn’t be difficult for this roster to find replacements for these seniors.