The Virtual Hub for the Media of the The Benjamin School's Upper School

The Pharcyte

Breaking News

The Pharcyte

The Pharcyte

Polls

Who Will Win the Super Bowl?

• Chiefs (67%, 2 Votes)
  • 49ers (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Taylor Swift (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Loading ... Loading ...

Energizing the Debate: Pros and Cons of Energy Drinks

Celsius, Red Bull, Monster, are just some of the drinks students use in school to stay awake and pay attention. These caffeinated drinks have different outcomes on students whether they are in school or out of school. Although some parents and schools think energy drinks have too much caffeine in them, they are beneficial for students, and it helps them in all sorts of ways. 

Not only do students take them to stay awake during the school day, it makes them more alert. The caffeine in energy drinks go to the central nervous system, and it reduces feelings of fatigue. 

According to the National Library of Medicine, “The 27.7% of students use energy drinks and the majority, corresponding with the 93.0%, use them for activities such as sports and studying, and improves their focus.”

Not only do energy drinks help during the school day, but they also help after, and during sports. Some energy drinks contain ingredients like taurine and B-vitamins, which are mean’t to improve physical performance out on the field or the gym. 

When journalists at Sports Medicine Reports wrote an article about the energy drink pros, they found a study, where “a recent meta-analysis shows energy drinks have the potential to increase performance in muscle strength and endurance.”

Academic Dean Mrs. Caroline Guzman is supportive on the energy drink, and points out that there are energy drinks in the vending machines at school. 

“I don’t have a problem with students drinking energy drinks. I support it if they are drinking it in moderation. With energy drinks in the vending machines, students can take a break and fuel themselves up for the next class,” Guzman stated. “Especially with students that have ADHD, the caffiene actually helps them focus up more. If students drink too much caffiene, it will make them jittery and make them have the opposite effect, so students should know their limit if they are drinking something like this.”

The caffeine in the energy drinks is a stimulant for ADHD. In recent research studies, additudemag.com says that “caffeine could be useful as a treatment, as it appears to normalize levels of dopamine and improve attention in people with ADHD.”

Many students in school have this same problem, and it helps them out. I have ADHD, and the consumption of caffiene before school helps me focus and be more lively in class. I am way more attentive than I was when I do not have energy drinks. 

Sophomore Chase Connor has ADHD, and thinks that the caffiene in energy drinks benefit him during the school day. 

“They help me stay awake in class, which makes me focus better on what the teachers are saying. When I take notes, I can take notes and listen to what the teacher is saying,” Connor explains. 

Senior Nick Cecchini is an avid energy drinker and drinks them out of school.

“The energy drinks are good for me because they have me always on the balls of my feet. Whenever I am tired, I can just go to the gas station and get an energy drink quickly,” Cechinni explains. “When I have an early tee time for my golf tournament, energy drinks help me, because they both wake me up and make me focus up.”

While energy drinks have its benefits, it could also hurt a student during the day. The health concerns with excessive consumption of energy drinks could lead to increased heart rate, high blood pressure, and disrupted sleep patterns. 

Students with excessive consumption of energy drinks that are on medication for ADHD or other learning disabilities could affect it. 

With all of the pros and cons of energy drinks, students, teachers and parents have different opinions on this topic.