Dartmouth-Bound Fried Shares Final Chapter of Her Benjamin Story

Photo courtesy of Molly Fried

A three-year member of The Pharcyde, Fried advanced from staff writer to copy editor to Co-Editor-in-Chief. The former ice skater extraordinaire will return to colder climates this fall as she begins her studies of political science at Dart- mouth College.

Molly Fried, Co-Editor-in-Chief

In my expert opinion, one of the absolute best rom coms from the last few years is Set it up (Netflix- go watch it). More than its great plot, Set it up also offers some very sound advice for people like me, those who have anxiety when it comes to doing anything, especially saying goodbye: “You like because and you love despite.” 

I have put more energy into the newspaper than anything else I’ve done in high school and I still am not great at laying out the center-spread. I can’t write a great op-ed in 20 minutes. I am a perfectionist and have had nervous breakdowns while trying to line-up columns and make a headline three letters shorter. I have felt like an imposter compared to previous editors. Yet, despite the hardships, I love The Pharcyde. I love being part of a team that, at the end of the day, supports each other. We put our blood, toil, tears, and sweat into this newspaper. 

On my first day in this class in 2018, I thought it was Glee at Benjamin. Jack Goetschius Ramsey and Robert Rubin, the co-editors at the time, started arguing about something and Mr. Didsbury (henceforth to be known as Dids) put his head in his hands and said “Oh my.” That was my introduction to this class that would be so different from any room I’d ever sit in. 

I had to write a few articles each month, but other than that, I just enjoyed laughing with people that I never would have been friends with. During Saturday Layout Days, my only jobs were to write headlines and captions and to make the lunch run. I existed only to antagonize Jack. Dids’ sayings “Rome is burning!” “Use your feet!” and even “the fact of the matter is…” came to define my high school experience. 

Things began to change last spring; Dids was retiring and we were trapped in a global pandemic. I was named Co-Editor with Skyler Zur, even though she had experience and talent, and my “thing” was policing the grammar of the newspaper. You like because and you love despite. Before Corona, I liked the newspaper because it was a fun project. My love for it endured despite the ephemeral quality of making the news. People come and go; the staff turns over. Masks come on and off, but the faces stay the same(or not). These four years have been a wild ride, but I know that I wouldn’t have put in the work if I didn’t love The Pharcyde as much as I do. 

Skyler, you are truly the star. If The Pharcyde were a football team, you’d be the quarterback and I’d be the watergirl. Both wholly necessary, but not quite existing on the same level. There is no denying that under your cold, never-smiling exterior, there is a journalist who seemingly has 10+ years of InDesign experience. When I became your friend in Kindergarten, I never would have thought it would lead to panicked FaceTimes at one in the morning over missing graphics. Sure, we’ve had our moments, but just know that I am fully aware that The Pharcyde would be nothing this year without your natural skill and low tolerance for Pharce. You’re one of my best friends until the end of the earth; even though I hate your ability to read my emotions, there is no one I’d rather have by my side in this endeavor. I hope you absolutely love Northwestern despite the glaring issue that it’s in the state of Illinois. All of my knowledge about Northwestern’s journalism program comes from Andy Sachs in The Devil Wears Prada, so I would like to boil down our 13 year friendship into one request: if you ever decide to work for a fashion magazine to get ahead, please send me free stuff.

Dids, it’s hard to put into words how thankful I am for you. You taught me how to write and how to ask questions, and you always encouraged me to pursue far-out article ideas, whether it was having a Dunkin vs Starbucks blind sample or testing the lakewater for alien life. Your dedication and love for The Pharcyde motivates me everyday and I just can’t thank you enough for developing the newspaper into my home. If you ever need anything, I am a call away and more than happy to bring a mini tuna sub on rosemary bread with lettuce, tomato, bacon, and provolone with me. 

Doc. You were my teacher for one month at the end of Sophomore Honors English when Mrs. Anderson was on maternity leave. The next year, on the beginning of a three hour flight to DC for Juniors Statesmen of America, I found out you were friends with Colin Jost and you didn’t jump off the plane when I kept asking questions. You coached me to many a Speech and Debate victory and this year, supported me through the learning process of making a newspaper despite it being your first year too. Captain, oh, my captain, I’m glad you’re a part of the Pharcyde Family and I know you’re going to take the newspaper in a great direction. 

My Pharcydians. Seriously, thank you all for just being yourselves. I’m glad we have this common bond that will always hold and I can’t believe it’s over. You have all gotten me through so much and there is no group of people more strange in the best possible way. I will miss you all beyond what you could even imagine. Please know that I will always be here for any of you, and despite your quirks, annoyances, and grievances, I love you all. 

Readers. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. I like you because you read the newspaper and give my words your time. And I love you despite how little time it was.