The Best of the Best: The Pharcyde’s NBA Superlatives

Photo courtesy of wikimedia

Raptors forward Scottie Barnes was named Best Palm Beach County Play- er, as he attended Cardinal Newman for part of his high school career. He was the NBA’s Rookie of the Year.

Charlie Spungin, Editor-in-Chief

Best Foreign-Born Player: Nikola Jokic, Denver Nuggets

• Jokic, who is from Serbia, won his second consecutive MVP award this season, averaging 27.1 points, 13.8 rebounds, and 7.9 assists per game. 

Best Single-Game Performance: Karl-Anthony Towns, Minnesota Timberwolves

• On March 14, Towns put up 60 points, 17 rebounds, and 3 assists on a 61 FG% en route to a 149-139 victory over the San Antonio Spurs.

Best Palm Beach County Player: Scottie Barnes, Toronto Raptors

• Barnes, who attended Cardinal Newman in his freshman year, won Rookie of the Year after averaging 15.3 points, 7.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game.

Most Likely to Star in Space-Jam 3: Ja Morant, Memphis Grizzlies

• Morant won Most Improved Player this year, as he broke out to near-superstardom by leading the Grizzlies to the 2 seed by averaging 27.4 points, 5.7 rebounds, and 6.7 assists per game. He is only 22 with a clearly bright future ahead of him.

Most Likely to Become a Coach: Chris Paul, Phoenix Suns

• For years, Paul has had one of the higher basketball IQs in the league. Though he still is playing at a high level, he is 37 and will likely retire within the next five years.

Best Player 6’0”: Chris Paul, Phoenix Suns

• As the starting point guard of the league-leading 64 win Suns, Paul averaged 14.7 points and 10.8 assists per game, which led the league.

Best Player 7’0”: Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers

• Embiid finished second in the MVP race this year, as he dominantly averaged a league-leading 30.6 points, 11.7 rebounds, and 4.2 assists per game.

Most Exciting Player: Ja Morant

• Morant’s exciting slashing ability has led to many highlights of his acrobatic layups and ridiculous dunks that go viral. Tuning into Memphis has been something that could lead to an amazing highlight by Morant.

Best Shooter: Desmond Bane, Memphis Grizzlies

• Bane was an integral part to the Grizzlies success this year, as he provided amazing floor spacing for Morant. Bane shot 43.6% from three on 6.9 attempts per game this year.

Best Scorer: Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers

• Embiid led the league in scoring this season, averaging 30.6 points per game on above average efficiency (61.6 TS%).

Best Finisher: Ja Morant, Memphis Grizzlies

• Morant became the first guard to lead the NBA in paint points in NBA history, as about 15 of his 27 points per game came from there. His excellent finishing ability was a catalyst for this.

Best Passer: Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks

• Young averaged 9.7 assists per game as the offensive powerhouse for the Hawks, making amazing reads and passes out of the pick and roll all season long.

Best Defender: Bam Adebayo, Miami Heat

• Adebayo didn’t win Defensive Player of the Year, but he was undoubtedly snubbed; his ability to guard all the positions and have an incredible impact on that side of the court warrants this for him.

Best Dunker: Miles Bridges, Charlotte Hornets

• In tandem with LaMelo Ball, Bridges has created some extremely exciting plays this season with his incredible dunks.

Most Surprising Player: Jordan Poole, Golden State Warriors

• Poole broke out this season to help the Warriors rise to contendership once again, as he has averaged 18.5 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 4.0 assists per game.

Best Florida Player: Jimmy Butler, Miami Heat

• Players from the Miami Heat and Orlando Magic are eligible for this award. Ultimately, Butler is clearly the best, as he has averaged 21.4 points per game, 6.9 rebounds per game, and 5.5 assists per game this season.

Best Florida Performance: Victor Oladipo, Miami Heat

• Though it was in a game that did not matter, Oladipo scored 40 points and tacked on 10 rebounds and 7 assists on April 10.