The Virtual Hub for the Media of the The Benjamin School's Upper School

The Pharcyte

Breaking News

The Pharcyte

The Pharcyte

Polls

Who Will Win the Super Bowl?

• Chiefs (67%, 2 Votes)
  • 49ers (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Taylor Swift (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Loading ... Loading ...

NFL Divisional Round Preview- Pharcydians Predict Second Round of Playoffs

Tampa Bay Times
Buccaneers wide receiver Trey Palmer celebrates after scoring the dagger in the last game of the Super Wild Card Weekend versus the Eagles. This 56-yard-touchdown sealed the game with a winning score for the Bucs 32-9.

After a Super Wild Card Weekend that featured multiple upsets and close games, the NFL heads into the Divisional round that feature four games split between Sat. Jan. 20 and Sun. Jan. 21.

The first Divisional Round game features the red-hot Houston Texans traveling to Baltimore to face the one-seed Ravens. The Texans had a great performance from rookie quarterback C.J. Stroud in his first playoff game last week. He looks to repeat his performance of over 270 yards and three touchdowns against the number-one-ranked defense left in the playoffs.  On the other hand, MVP-favorite Lamar Jackson has a lot to prove this playoff run. With sustained regular season success, Jackson looks to get some playoff accolades and make a run at the Lombardi Trophy. Some key things to watch during this game are the pressure generated by the Ravens defense and the run game of the Ravens offense. If the Ravens are able to dominate the line of scrimmage, the Texans stand no chance.

The Pharcyte’s Prediction: Ravens 31, Texans 13

The night game on Saturday is a battle between historically successful franchises. The Green Bay Packers travel to Levi Stadium in San Francisco to face the 49ers. 

After pulling off a big upset in Dallas, the Packers are hot. QB Jordan Love was the main reason they put up 48 points against one of the best defenses in the NFL. He put up a perfect passer rating against this defense, which is very impressive. The task will only get more challenging for the Packers since the 49ers’ defense is top in the league. The Packers look to continue their Cinderella story in San Francisco. 

A bye week and a successful season should fuel this red-hot 49ers team. Their super team is surrounded by superstars, such as QB Brock Purdy, RB Christan McCaffery, WR Deebo Samuel, and TE George Kittle. This offense has shown flashes of elite abilities; the defense is where it gets better.  They look to cause Jordan Love chaos with a great pass rush, led by DE Nick Bosa, an excellent linebacking core, led by LB Fred Warner, and great defensive backs to defend the pass, led by DB Talanoa Hufonga. This will be a test for the 49ers defense.

This game will have its ups and downs, but the 49ers will be a problem for the Packers defense, which still allowed 510 yards against the Cowboys when they were blowing them out. The Packers need to look to rattle Brock Purdy early and stop the running game. It is their best shot to win this game because if Purdy is let loose, he has many weapons he can throw to, making the job even more problematic for this Packers’ defense. 

On the 49ers side, they need to look at options on how to stop Aaron Jones, considering that the 49ers are 10-1 when they allow 100 rushing yards or less to the RB1. If Love continues this hot streak and makes the right plays against this defense, the job will only get more challenging for the 49ers. 

The Pharcyde’s Prediction: 49ers 31, Packers 17

After the first day in Divisional Round football, the games start again at 3:30 on Sunday, when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers travel to Detroit to take on the Lions. 

No team is more fired up in the playoffs than the Bucs. They are coming off a hot win, and QB Baker Mayfield has led this team to the promised land. Before the season, people were saying that the Bucs were nowhere near a playoff team, and look where we are. This past Monday, Jan. 15th, the Bucs rolled past the Philadelphia Eagles in a blowout 32-9. Baker Mayfield threw for 300+ yards, along with an excellent defensive performance by the entire defense. If this team works as a “team,” this should be no problem for them in Detroit. 

After making history and winning their first playoff game since 1992, the Lions are coming into this game confident and ready to fight. QB Jared Goff had a great game last week in a thriller versus the Rams, where the Lions came out on top 24-23, and he put up 353 passing yards and two touchdown passes. Amon Ra St. Brown had 12 catches for 124 yards and a touchdown. That duo’s stellar play better carry over in this divisional meeting since it will cause problems for this Bucs’ defense.

Both teams met in Week 6, and the Lions took care of business on the road and won 20-6. This will be an even more arduous task for both sides of the ball for Tampa Bay. In a revved-up Ford Field, especially if Jared Goff can show up like he did in the prior week, they would steamroll this team. 

Don’t worry. Goff is not the only player who has been fired up. Mayfield will be fired up, too, and the Bucs will have a much better chance if Mike Evans goes off against the Lions’ weak secondary. The Bucs could not run the ball in the first matchup against a top-run defense in the league, the Eagles. If they can find the run game throughout this game, this matchup will be good.

The Pharcyde’s Prediction: Buccaneers 28, Lions 24

The Chiefs travel to Buffalo to take on the Bills for their third playoff matchup in the last three years. Although the Chiefs have sent the Bills home following their two previous playoff games, this game holds a significant advantage for the Bills: the location. Patrick Mahomes looks to continue his playoff success and connect with wide receiver Rashee Rice and tight end Travis Kelce. To do so, he will have to get through a good Bills secondary. On the other side, the Bills are red hot on offense with quarterback Josh Allen playing at an exceptional level. Last week, Allen had a 53-yard run showing how dangerous she is on the ground. As this game wraps up the divisional round slate, NFL fans look for a repeat of the crazy matchups these teams have produced in the past.

The Pharcyte’s Prediction: Chiefs 27, Bills 20