Boys’ Basketball Preview

Nothing But Nets for our Benjamin Ballers

Erika Sousa

Team Captain and Senior Lucas Cotronakis sets himself up for another shot.

Charlie Spungin, Editor-in-Chief

Among the sports seasons with the most games, boys’ varsity basketball is towards the top. With COVID-19 protocols in place, the
team has been a step behind other programs. Regardless, there is hope for a successful season.

Despite a rough 9-16 season last year, the boys’ varsity basketball team’s expectations are higher than last season’s .360 win percentage. Coach Brandon Arnette believes that the team this year will certainly be better.

“[The] team this year will be much improved from last year,” he said. “We are returning our top three scorers and added a 6’10 skilled player in Gavin [Aydelotte], which will be a huge addition to our program.”

The top three scorers that Arnette is referencing are junior Mark Cueto (15.1 points per game), sophomore Darrell Sweeting (11.9 PPG), and junior Isaiah Nesmith (9.4 PPG).

The impact of COVID-19 has already been felt by the team. The usual preseason conditioning did not happen, and players who joined the team after finishing their football season had to quarantine for 14 days following their season’s end.

Arnette believes that with hard work and good leadership, the team can improve at a rapid pace.

“I want us to get better every day,” he said. “If we improve each day, we will be very competitive in our district. We have a tremendous junior and sophomore class and great leadership out of our seniors Lucas [Cotronakis], Nick [Anderson], and Cole [Jernstedt].”

Cotronakis, who is the team captain, has accepted the leadership role and has done his best to set an example for the underclassmen.

“I have tried to become a leader by being the first one in and last one out of the gym every day,” he said. “I am a naturally quiet person, but I do my best to talk and help whoever needs my help.”

Players have noticed a large difference from last season, especially with the intensity of practices. “This season, there is more energy in practice, and it is more competitive in practice,” sophomore Carter Smith said.

“We are a lot more focused from last year,” Cotronakis added.

With top players returning as well as new additions, an improvement from last season is bound to occur for the boys’ varsity basketball team.