The Virtual Hub for the Media of the The Benjamin School's Upper School

The Pharcyte

Breaking News
  • May 11Boys Varsity Lacrosse are the 2024 FHSAA 1A State Champions!!!
  • May 9Boys Track Won 3 Straight State Championships!!!

The Pharcyte

The Pharcyte

Polls

Who Will Win the Super Bowl?

• Chiefs (67%, 2 Votes)
  • 49ers (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Taylor Swift (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Loading ... Loading ...

A Look Into Why There is No Spring Football Game

Senior+Jacob+Cosby-Mosely+celebrates+a+touchdown+during+their+game+against+the+Clearwater+Academy+on+Sep.+8.+The+Bucs+won+27-21%2C+and+this+continued+their+undefeated+season+for+five+more+games.+
Senior Jacob Cosby-Mosely celebrates a touchdown during their game against the Clearwater Academy on Sep. 8. The Bucs won 27-21, and this continued their undefeated season for five more games.

The spring football game, a highly anticipated event, serves as a season preview for our Bucs. It’s a chance for our local teams to compete and for rising freshmen to make their debut. 

Unfortunately, there will be no spring football game for the second year. Athletic Director Mr. Smith explains the reasoning.

“The spring football game won’t be as valuable now because track and field has gotten very popular from football kids,” Smith explains. “Also, States for track and field are on May 15-17, and Baccalaureate is on the 15th, and the spring football game is usually on the week of Baccalaureate, so we won’t have enough players.” 

With no spring football game, there will be no more games for the seniors to play, which saddens Senior Jacob Cosby-Mosley.

“This would have been my last time with the team, but as a senior, we are sadly not allowed to participate in the spring following the regular season because the spring is considered the beginning of the next football season.  I will miss the brotherhood and lively nature of our football team and our shared memories,” Cosby-Mosely explains. 

Sophomore Charlie Smith is the second-string quarterback to starting quarterback, junior Jayden Vega. 

“The spring football game would have been an excellent chance for me and other underclassmen to show out,” Smith said. “There could have been injuries that could have messed up the team for next year, so no risks are taken there.”

Many seniors enjoy the spring game, which gives them one last chance to watch their high school football team take the field.

“I played volleyball during the fall season, so I did not watch enough football games. I am super school-spirited and would have loved to watch another game for the last time as a Buc,” senior Grace Havlicek explained sadly. 

Now, usually, there is a game during the spring season, but there are practices and scrimmages for the players on the team for the upcoming season. There will be practices throughout the summer, the first weeks of August, then the school year and the kickoff of their season.