The Virtual Hub for the Media of the The Benjamin School's Upper School

The Pharcyte

Breaking News
  • May 11Boys Varsity Lacrosse are the 2024 FHSAA 1A State Champions!!!
  • May 9Boys Track Won 3 Straight State Championships!!!

The Pharcyte

The Pharcyte

Polls

Who Will Win the Super Bowl?

• Chiefs (67%, 2 Votes)
  • 49ers (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Taylor Swift (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Loading ... Loading ...

NFL Free Agency Recap

Brian Burns (far left), Kirk Cousins (left), Christian Wilkins (upper middle), Saquon Barkley (lower middle), Justin Fields (right) and Danielle Hunter (far right).
Touchdown Wire – USA Today

Every year, NFL free agency brings surprises. The running back free agency saga highlights the chaos of this offseason. Below, The Pharcyde explains the moves that help or hurt teams. 

Christian Wilkins → Las Vegas Raiders

From one side of the coast to the other, Christian Wilkins signed with the Las Vegas Raiders. He signed for four years, worth 110 million dollars. The Former Dolphins defensive end was a threat to every offensive line even after having a rough season last year. He is still trying to bring his hard-hitting gameplay to Las Vegas and be a destroyer on the defensive side. This is a massive step for a successful Raiders team. 

Derrick Henry → Baltimore Ravens

Derrick Henry is one of the strongest and fastest players in the NFL. Last season for the Titans, Henry had 280 carries (1st in the NFL) and rushed for 1,167 yards (2nd in the NFL) with 12 rushing touchdowns and 28 receptions for 214 yards. Henry’s contract is worth up to $16 million for two years, with $9 million guaranteed. Henry is a massive addition to this Ravens team. Alongside MVP Lamar Jackson, this run game will be a force to reckon with. 

Justin Fields and Russell Wilson → Pittsburgh Steelers

Mike Tomlin loves his backups in Pittsburgh, and having a duo of Justin Fields and Russell Wilson suits his needs for this team. The Pittsburgh Steelers traded away Kenny Pickett to the Philadelphia Eagles and made other trades to acquire Russell Wilson from the Denver Broncos and Justin Fields from the Chicago Bears. Although Wilson is starting, Fields is backing him up. The moves the Steelers made, such as trading Diontae Johnson to the Carolina Panthers, make this team look different for next season in a tough AFC North.

Stefon Diggs and Joe Mixon → Houston Texans

The Houston Texans have the brightest future in the NFL. Stefon Diggs was traded to the Texans for a 2024 sixth-round pick and a 2025 fifth-round pick. Last season for the Buffalo Bills, Diggs had 107 receptions with 1,183 yards and eight touchdowns. Alongside Stroud and Diggs, the Texans have running back Joe Mixon, wide receivers Nico Collins and Tank Dell, and tight end Dalton Schultz. Demeco Ryans, head coach of the Texans was also a finalist for the Coach of the Year in 2023 and is looking to get his team into the Super Bowl next year.

Tony Pollard → Tennessee Titans

Finding new strides in a different conference, Tony Pollard signed with the Tennessee Titans for a deal worth 24 million over three years, with 10.49 million guaranteed. This is a huge get for the Titans since they lost their franchise piece on the offense, running back Derrick Henry, to the Baltimore Ravens.

Saquon Barkley looks to pick up a touchdown, in a game from this past season.

Saquon Barkley → Philadelphia Eagles

Ever since entering college at Penn State, Saquon Barkley has been an explosive running back. In fourteen games last season, Barkley rushed for 962 yards and six rushing touchdowns with 41 receptions, 280 yards, and four receiving touchdowns. Barkley signed a three-year contract worth $37.75 million with $25.5 million guaranteed when he signed with the Eagles.

Austin Ekler → Washington Commanders

Austin Ekeler signed a 2-year $8.43 million contract with a $3 million signing bonus with the Washington Commanders. Although this may seem like a bargain, Ekeler, who has emerged as a fantasy superstar, has not had the same success on the field. Although his stats are padded with receptions and goal-line touchdowns, Ekeler took a significant step back, averaging a career-worst 3.5 yards per carry last year, where he lost that extra step he had in years past. Usually, for the Commaders’ offense, fans don’t expect anything spectacular. If Austin Ekeler can bring back his old self and get back on track, he has a severe shot at helping this team to some much needed wins.

D’Andre Swift and Keenan Allen → Chicago Bears

The Bears are in a tricky spot at the current moment. They have the first overall pick in the draft, which is favored to be Caleb Williams. If they get this star quarterback with this pick, they have another eight picks later. They can get offensive weapons, as they did this offseason, with both former Detriot Lions running back D’Andre Swift and former Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen. These two players will instantly have a major impact on the Bears offense.

Josh Jacobs → Green Bay Packers

Josh Jacobs has become one of the top running backs in the league over the past two years. He has proven to be a reliable threat when games come down to the wire, and that is what the Green Bay Packers need. He signed a four-year deal worth 48 million dollars with the Packers. After the Rodgers era, the Packers have looked into running the ball more and using play action. With running back Aaron Jones released, the Packers rely on Jacobs’s explosiveness on the field and his ability to make plays. 

Kirk Cousins looks for an open receiver, in a game this past season. (USA Today)

Kirk Cousins → Atlanta Falcons

With his career success, former Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins signed with the Atlanta Falcons in hopes of becoming their next franchise quarterback. The contract was four years, worth 180 million dollars, and with 100 million guaranteed. Throughout his career, he has earned more in the NFL than Tom Brady, which is very surprising. If they can get an offensive weapon in the draft, the Falcons would be a developmental favorite in the NFC. 

This NFL offseason has been among the most exhilarating in recent years. With all of the crazy trades and signings, teams have changed drastically. NFL fans are looking forward to the Draft which starts on April 25th.