Boys’ Soccer Season Comes to a Close After Loss Against Oxbridge

Junior+Ryan+Hendi+looks+for+an+open+teammate+to+pass+the+ball+to+during+the+district+semi-finals+against+Oxbridge+Academy.+

Erika Sousa

Junior Ryan Hendi looks for an open teammate to pass the ball to during the district semi-finals against Oxbridge Academy.

Sophia Liporace, Co-Editor-in-Chief

With five wins, three ties, and four losses, the boys’ soccer team had an immensely successful season, not only by winning on the field, but also by persevering through obstacles that they faced on their way to the district semi-finals. 

The started off the season with a strong 1-0 win against Miami Country Day before having to quarantine due to contract tracing of COVID-19. 

Captained by three juniors– Gavin Coleman, Max Gelinas, and Jake Zur–, the team lost a great deal of leadership in the class of 2020, and underclassmen were forced to step up to the challenge of leading a team.

Zur thinks that the team did a great job of assimilating to the many changes and getting back on track for a great season.

“I was really happy with the beginning of the season. I think we did a really great job with finding positions and places for all the new players and starting right where we left off the season before,” Zur added. 

Along with being a group on the field, sophomore Wils Davis praised the friendly dynamic of the team. 

“The dynamic of the team is great; all the guys on the team are extremely close which is something I haven’t necessarily seen on all other soccer teams. We all get along really well which I think helps our chemistry in games and practices,” Davis said. 

Even with all these positive aspects of the season, it came to a close when the Bucs were unable to defeat Oxbridge Academy’s Thunderwolves in the district semi-finals on Feb. 3. Oxbridge claimed a victory with a final score of 3-1.

This, of course, was upsetting for the team after they put months of hard work into their sport.

“I was definitely the most disappointed when we lost districts. Oxbridge is always a tough opponent for us, and I just wish we could have pulled through and taken the win,” said Jake Zur. 

Even though the 2021 season is over, the players still have high hopes for next year’s season and will be working to redeem themselves in their future games. 

“One thing the soccer team can definitely do to improve is staying disciplined and organized, as well as playing to our strengths. I think that if we can master those traits, we can have a really successful season next year,” said Wils Davis.