The Virtual Hub for the Media of the The Benjamin School's Upper School

The Pharcyte

Breaking News
  • April 29Boys and Girls Varsity Track are District Champs!

The Pharcyte

The Pharcyte

Polls

Who Will Win the Super Bowl?

• Chiefs (67%, 2 Votes)
  • 49ers (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Taylor Swift (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Loading ... Loading ...

Apple Reveals Their New Products at Their Annual Fall Event

IGN
Tim Cook reveals and discusses the new products and features.

Every year around the middle of September, Apple releases its new products at an event at Apple headquarters in Cupertino, California. This year, the event took place on September 12, 2023, at 10:00 a.m. PST. During the event, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced new software, two new Apple watches, and a pair of AirPods; Apple surprisingly did not announce any new iPads. 

Apple did not announce any new iPads because there are many rumors that Apple is working on an iPad Pro that will not be ready until the Fall of 2024.

The new iOS software (iOS 17) will be available to download on all iPhone models released since the iPhone SE 2 and will be automatically installed on all new iPhones. There are a ton of new features on iOS 17 such as Contact Posters (you can put a custom image on your screen when you are on the phone with someone), Name Drop (two people can share their contact information by bringing their iPhones together), Live Voicemail (it transcribes an incoming call voicemail to words that you can read), and many more. 

Students and teachers can use the new name-drop feature because it will transfer their complete contact card to the other person’s iPhone. In theory, if your contact information is fully completed, the receiver will now know your phone number, email address, and even your birthday. Live voicemail is equally as exciting. You can read voicemails as they come in so that Mom can contact you during the loudest pep rally in school history. This feature, finally gives iPhone users a benefit of an Android. 

“I think it will get used much less often than people think. The only time I can see students using it is when they either have a group project and need the other person’s number or at the beginning of the year and they want to get the numbers of the new student or new students in their advisory,” said freshman Brayden Thomas. 

The central focus of every Apple Event is when new iPhones are announced. This year four new iPhones were revealed: the iPhone 15, the iPhone 15 Plus, the iPhone 15 Pro, and the iPhone 15 Pro Max. There are also rumors that there might be an iPhone 15 Ultra coming soon. Below is a chart of the differences between the iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 via Apple Insider.

Specifications iPhone 14 iPhone 14 Plus iPhone 15 iPhone 15 Plus
Starting Price $799 $899 $799 $899
Dimension (inches) 5.78 x 2.82 x 0.31 6.33 x 3.07 x 0.31 5.82 x 2.82 x 0.31 6.33 x 3.06 x 0.31
Weight (ounces) 6.07 7.16 6.02 7.09
Processor A15 Bionic and 5-Core GPU A15 Bionic and 5-Core GPU A16 Bionic and 5-Core GPU A16 Bionic and 5-Core GPU
Storage 128GB, 256 GB, or 512 GB 128GB, 256 GB, or 512 GB 128GB, 256 GB, or 512 GB 128GB, 256 GB, or 512 GB
Display Type 6.1 inch Super Retina XDR 6.7 inch Super Retina XDR 6.1 inch Super Retina XDR 6.7 inch Super Retina XDR
Resolution 2,532 x 1,170 at 460ppi 2,778 x 1,284 at 458ppi 2,556 x 1,179 at 460ppi 2,796 x 1,290 at 460ppi
True Tone Yes Yes Yes Yes
Biometrics Face ID Face ID Face ID Face ID
Connectivity 5G (Sub-6GHz and mmWave), Gigabit-class LTE, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.3, Ultra Wideband, Emergency SOS via Satelite, Roadside Assistance via Satelite, Lightning,  5G (Sub-6GHz and mmWave), Gigabit-class LTE, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.3, Ultra Wideband, Emergency SOS via Satelite, Roadside Assistance via Satelite, Lightning,  5G (Sub-6GHz and mmWave), Gigabit-class LTE, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.3, Ultra Wideband, Emergency SOS via Satelite, Roadside Assistance via Satelite, USB-C,  5G (Sub-6GHz and mmWave), Gigabit-class LTE, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.3, Ultra Wideband, Emergency SOS via Satelite, Roadside Assistance via Satelite, USB-C, 
Rear Cameras 12MP Ultra Wide, and 12MP Wide 12MP Ultra Wide, and 12MP Wide 12MP Ultra Wide, and 48MP Main 12MP Ultra Wide, and 48MP Main
Video 4K 60fps, 4K 60fps HDR with Dolby Vision, 1080p 240fps, Slo-Mo, Sensor-shift optical image stabilization, Action Mode 4K 60fps, 4K 60fps HDR with Dolby Vision, 1080p 240fps, Slo-Mo, Sensor-shift optical image stabilization, Action Mode 4K 60fps, 4K 60fps HDR with Dolby Vision, 1080p 240fps, Slo-Mo, Sensor-shift optical image stabilization, Action Mode 4K 60fps, 4K 60fps HDR with Dolby Vision, 1080p 240fps, Slo-Mo, Sensor-shift optical image stabilization, Action Mode
Front Camera 12Mp, TrueDepth, AutoFocus 12Mp, TrueDepth, AutoFocus 12Mp, TrueDepth, AutoFocus 12Mp, TrueDepth, AutoFocus
Battery Size (Video Playback Time) Up to 20 hours Up to 26 hours Up to 20 hours Up to 26 hours
Colors Midnight Starlight, Blue, Purple, (Product) Red, Yellow Midnight Starlight, Blue, Purple, (Product) Red, Yellow Black, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Pink Black, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Pink

This year Apple is releasing two new Apple Watches: the Apple Watch Series 9 and the Apple Watch Ultra 2. The main features of the Apple Watch Series 9 are the S9 SiP which increases the timepiece’s performance and capabilities, the double tap feature, a brighter display, faster on-device Siri, the ability to access and log health data, and precision finding. The main features of the Apple Watch Ultra 2 are the same as the Apple Watch Series 9 but it also has redesigned apps, the new Smart Stack, new cycling features, and new features to help explore the outdoors. The Apple Watch Ultra 2 has a 36-hour battery life with regular use and a 72-hour battery life with a low use percentage. Both watches are to be released on Friday, September 22, 2023. 

At the event, Apple also announced the new AirPods they will release on Friday, September 22, 2023. The new headphones are called the Apple AirPods Pro 2nd Generation. The main features of the AirPods are the USB-C charging system, the doubled Active Noise Cancellation of previous AirPods, an advanced Transparency mode, a more immersive Spatitual Audio experience, a custom range of ear tip sizes for a more comfortable fit, additional dust resistance, Lossless Audio with the Apple Vision Pro, new audio experiences such as Adaptive Audio and Conversation Awareness. The Apple AirPods Pro 2nd Generation will be a big hit. 

All devices will be available for preorder on Friday, September 15, 2023, and released on Friday, September 22, 2023. The iOS 17 is released on Monday, September 18, 2023.