The Virtual Hub for the Media of the The Benjamin School's Upper School

The Pharcyte

Breaking News
  • April 29Boys and Girls Varsity Track are District Champs!

The Pharcyte

The Pharcyte

Polls

Who Will Win the Super Bowl?

• Chiefs (67%, 2 Votes)
  • 49ers (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Taylor Swift (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Loading ... Loading ...

First Annual “Trunk or Treat” Brings Benjamin Lower and Upper School Together

Upper School Dean of Academics and World History Teacher Mrs. Caroline Guzman poses with her family as they attend “Trunk or Treat.”
Maggie Smith

On Sat. Oct. 21, from 3 to 5 p.m., the Upper School hosted the first annual “Trunk or Treat” in the Upper School parking lot. This event helped to build a sense of community between the Lower and Upper schools. 

The Benjamin Parents Association (BPA) organized the event and asked students from the Benjineers, Student Council, and National Honor Society (NHS) to help volunteer. Members of the student council wore costumes and all of the older students walked around with the younger bucs as they went from car to car collecting candy. In addition to “trunk or treating, there was also a competition for the best-decorated car.

Senior and Student Council President Maggie Smith felt that the event was a great way to foster connections within the school and enjoyed helping out. 

“We were able to connect with the younger students and create a relationship which was really nice. So many families came together to create such a fun event. People were able to reserve a parking spot, decorate their cars, and show up to the event to share the Halloween Spirit. Student Council decorated one car, and the Benjineers came in first place with their amazing ship decorated car,” explained Smith.

Junior and Benjineer Olly White had a great time decorating the cars and handing out candy. 

Our car decoration included a robot battlefield where kids could drive and battle to get candy which was really great for kids of all ages. I think this helped us to win the competition because it combined learning about engineering with having fun.

Senior and National NHS President Matias Saiz was joined by other NHS members in assisting with the “Trunk or Treat.”

“We were trying to diversify the community service opportunities we do as NHS and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to do so. Judging by the smiles on the visitors’ faces, I would say the event was very successful,” said Saiz.

Saiz believes that Benjamin can benefit from the two campuses interacting with each other.

“I think that connecting with the younger members of the school can make the school itself a better place for everyone. We are one, big community after all, so it’s good to have events like these where we are joined together,” added Saiz.

Sophomore and student council representative, Izzy Casey, loved seeing the smiles on the younger Buc’s faces and how excited they were to dress up, decorate their cars, and enjoy some candy. 

“It was so nice to see how much it meant to the little kids and how happy it made them to be with older students and get in the Halloween spirit. It reminded me of when I used to go trick or treating with my parents when I was little and I hope this tradition continues in the years to come,” Casey expressed. 

The first ever “Trunk or Treat” seems to have been a huge success. Everyone involved had a great time and it successfully brought the Benjamin community together for the spooky season.