The Virtual Hub for the Media of the The Benjamin School's Upper School

The Pharcyte

Breaking News
  • April 29Boys and Girls Varsity Track are District Champs!

The Pharcyte

The Pharcyte

Polls

Who Will Win the Super Bowl?

• Chiefs (67%, 2 Votes)
  • 49ers (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Taylor Swift (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Loading ... Loading ...

Another Successful Fall Sports Season Capped Off By Awards Ceremony

All+athletes+who+won+an+award+pose+for+a+photo+after+the+ceremony.+
Jeremy Ferris
All athletes who won an award pose for a photo after the ceremony.

This year’s Fall Sports Awards took place on Dec. 8 in the Healey Athletic Center. There were individual awards for the respective players in football, volleyball, golf, cheerleading, cross country, bowling, and swimming.

A total of around 150 athletes were recognized at the ceremony.

The event was led by Upper School Athletic Director, Coach Ryan Smith and Assistant Athletic Directors, Mrs. Alexandria Clark, and Mr. David Bailey. Smith kicked off the event by speaking on the importance of recognition and acknowledging academic achievement. 

The fall varsity sports awards are an opportunity to recognize our fall athletic teams, student-athletes, and coaches for their commitment, dedication, and achievements.” It’s important to recognize all the student-athletes and coaches from the team while also acknowledging those students who performed at a high level or were great leaders and teammates,” said Coach Ryan Smith. “It is a great opportunity to recognize everyone in front of the school at an assembly.”

Then, Clarke, Bailey, and Smith called each team up, read out the names of all members, and shared some of the best memories from the season. The fall season has been extremely successful with all teams competing in district tournaments. Boys and girls golf, swimming, and girls cross country all made it to the state competition with the boys golf team even taking home a state title. 

The remarkable achievements of the fall season are a testament not only to the impressive athletic talent of the teams but also to the exceptional leadership qualities of the seniors. After each team was announced, awards were given to the players who had shown outstanding sportsmanship and showcased great performance throughout their seasons. 

Senior Maggie Smith, and member of the girls’ volleyball team, feels honored to be acknowledged for her effort in Benjamin athletics. 

“I love being involved in sports, especially at Benjamin where it is so important to each and every student. I was awarded the Varsity Volleyball Coaches Award. I think that I was given this because of my commitment to the team for the past four years. I have given my whole career to this team and I am truly going to miss it when I go to college. I was one of the captains of the team this year, so receiving this award truly meant the world.

Freshman Emma Lewis, a member of the girls’ cross country team, enjoyed her first sports season at Benjamin and was given the Rookie of the Year award.

“Winning this award (Rookie of the Year) is an honor. I did not think I would be getting an award and I am very excited to see where the rest of my high school running career takes me,” said Freshman Emma Lewis. 

Overall, the Fall Sports Awards Ceremony seemed to be a great way to recognize the exemplary performances of the fall sports teams. As we move into the Winter Season, The Pharcyde can not wait to see the successes of those teams and the new records they break. 

Fall Varsity Sports Award Winners 

Cheerleading 

Captain Awards: Izzy Casher, Amanda Duguay, Xan Blount

Co-Captain Award: Easley Hughes

Awesome Attitude Award: Ja’Nyia Donaldson

Toughest Cheerleader: Zariah Hands

Girls Golf 

Most Improved Golfer: Savannah Thompson

Most Valuable Golfer: Reese McMillan

Volleyball 

MVP: Grace Havlicek and Riley McCaughey

Coach’s Award: Brenna Hasey and Maggie Smith

Girls Cross Country 

MVP: Samantha Hill

Coach’s Award: Hannah Beam

Most Improved: Siu Park and Catherine Hicks

Rookie of the Year: Emma Lewis

Boys Cross Country 

MVP: Gavin Venoff

Coach’s Award: Joey Tomassetti

Most Improved: Jackson Golucki and Cabo Kujawa

Rookie of the Year: Desmon Flemming

Boys and Girls Bowling 

Captains Awards- John Lacy, Abby Spunar, and Harper Smith

Boys and Girls Swimming & Diving 

MVP: Trace Colton, Allison Kelly, Sarah Napier

Most Promising: Caroline Smith

State Qualifier: Rachel Nussbaum, Alyssa Stump, Allison Kelly, Feagin Kaminski, Trace Colton, Izzy Knott, Sarah Napier

Coach’s Award: Ella Chait, Tyler Kelly 

Boy’s Golf 

MVP: Pavel Tsar, Jake Valentine, Charlie Woods, Brooks Colton, Tyler Bruneau 

Football 

Captain’s Award: Chauncey Bowens, Jacob Cosby-Mosley, Chase Malamala, Jackson Hamilton, D’Andre LaVassaur, Amaree Williams