Lady Bucs Anticipating Strong 2020-2021 Season

Charlie Spungin, Editor-in-Chief

A 104-32 record over the past five years is a great feat. That record is that of the girls’ varsity basketball team. Despite a loss of key players, winning remains the ultimate goal.

Head coach Willie Shelton and company have been a great team for multiple years, as their .760 winning percentage over the past half a decade is outstanding. Given this, the girls look to continue their success this season. 

Some expectations for our team is to win districts again and possibly states,” freshman Nandini Patel said. “I’d like us to go as far as possible.”

Other than the obvious COVID-19 impact, this season has been immensely different for the team. 

The team’s top three scorers last season in Emma Laszewski, Dora Redmon, and Casey Lewis departed via graduation or transfer. 

“Losing [them] hurts, but it just means that some of us have to really pick it up. We all have to constantly work together and perform our best every game. Not just me, but all five of the returning players have all taken a step up in leadership,” Patel said.

The five returning players are Patel, senior Devyn Dyett, junior Jasmine Patrick, sophomore Tay Blackshear, and sophomore Ingrid Corpus. The six remaining players are all newcomers this season.

Because of the change in scenery, the team’s playstyle and focus both offensively and defensively have also shifted.

“This year, we are a lot smaller than we were last year, so we’ve had to change the way we play,” Dyett said. “Our plays on offense consist of a lot of perimeter movement to create outside shots, and defensively, we are playing more aggressive at the top on the guards.”

As the only senior on the team, Dyett has taken it upon herself to become a leader.

“As the lone senior, I have tried to get the girls acclimated to our more intense practices. It can be overwhelming for the middle schoolers, so I make sure to talk to them afterward to let them know that it gets easier, and we’re all in it together. I try to be a good role model by showing up to practice early, talking in drills, and directing things on the floor,” she said.

The girls will give full effort every game and do whatever is necessary to win their games.

“Our team is made up of a good core of girls who may not have the athleticism from last year but have heart,” Dyett said.