Girls’ Lacrosse Win Districts, Advance to Regionals

Charlie Spungin, Editor-in-Chief

The girls’ lacrosse team capitalized on their incredible regular season that led them to winning the District Championship, as they defeated Jensen Beach 17-6.

Their 9-6 regular season record was enough to land the Bucs the 1 seed in the tournament and along with it, a first round bye. 

En route to the Championship, the Bucs defeated 4 seeded Suncoast 20-9 on Apr. 13. Earlier in the season, the girls defeated Suncoast 21-11. 

In the blowout victory, senior Gwen Savidge had 6 goals and 3 assists, while junior Lily Valentini added 4 goals and 3 assists. Sophomore Grace Tighe had 3 goals. An all-around effect was the catalyst for the blowout, as the girls are headed to regionals.

Savidge, the lone senior on the team, didn’t even expect to get this far due to the team’s youth. While she has been proven wrong, she has realized how bright of a future the team has,

“As a very young team this year, I was thinking we would not make it very far in the districts and regionals,” she said. “In the following years, this team will make it very far in playoffs.”

Last year, the girls started the season 6-1, but the rise of COVID-19 subsequently ended the season for good. 

“After last season being canceled, making it this far feels like we are making up for last year’s loss,” junior Catherine Civitella said.

There was doubt if there would even be a season played this year, so Savidge is “so grateful” that she has had the opportunity to play out the entirety of her senior season. She is aware that the postseason gets tougher as it continues; she notes that American Heritage, their regional matchup, will be a “very tough opponent.” 

In order to win the game, it will be tough, according to Civitella, but there is still a way to win and continue to advance through the postseason.

“It will take teamwork and coming together on defense to win,” she said. “Our defense has come a long way, with lots to still work on.”