The Virtual Hub for the Media of the The Benjamin School's Upper School

The Pharcyte

Breaking News

The Pharcyte

The Pharcyte

Polls

Who Will Win the Super Bowl?

• Chiefs (67%, 2 Votes)
  • 49ers (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Taylor Swift (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Loading ... Loading ...

Dazzling Celebrations and Traditions: Holiday Assembly Spreads Cheer

The Dazzlers performed “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey. The
performance featured the Dazzlers dressed in Christmas outfits. The Dazzlers
were one of three groups to perform during the Assembly along with the chorus and the band.
Jeremy Ferris
The Dazzlers performed “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey. The performance featured the Dazzlers dressed in Christmas outfits. The Dazzlers were one of three groups to perform during the Assembly along with the chorus and the band.

The Benjamin School hosted its Seventh Annual Holiday Assembly on Tuesday, December 5, at Benjamin Hall. The event featured special performances and holiday stories from teachers, faculty, and students. Notable acts included the dazzlers and the band ensemble performing a song together, with the band showcasing two additional pieces. The chorus also joined forces with the band for a collaborative performance.

The assembly featured the holidays, Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa.

Dr.James Haley orchestrates the holiday assembly annually along with other faculty members.

“Mrs. Austin and Mrs. Salivar organize all of the performances.  Mr. Archer manages the video recording and visuals. I recruited two faculty speakers and students to speak about each of the major holidays. I want to showcase members of the community that I think have an interesting story to tell and that we don’t typically have a chance to hear from,” mentions Haley.

Head of the Upper School, Mr.Fletcher Carr, promotes the assembly in many ways.

“The format stayed fairly similar throughout the years with someone talking about mainly Christianity, Judaism, the African American experience, so each year somebody who might represent those faiths and ideas will get selected” adds Carr.

Sophomore Dazzler Nicole Walsh performed during the assembly along with other members of her team.

“It was a really good experience because we learned a new dance for the assembly. Also, Christmas is one of my favorite holidays, so it was really great to be a part of the Benjamin celebration,” says Walsh. 

Drama Director and English Teacher Mr.Jason Peck had his first appearance in the Holiday Assembly with his Christmas family time experiences.

I was extremely nervous about sharing something so personal but it felt good to share a bit about myself. I think sharing stories like mine is needed as we learn from hearing from our collective experiences and by finding the universal commonality that exists between us. I’d love for us to do more of these types of assemblies,” said Mr. Peck.

Dr.Haley feels very strongly about the holidays and the assembly itself, especially with the Benjamin community.

“This time of year can be stressful, and it is nice to be able to put that on pause for 45 minutes and celebrate the talent and traditions of the members of this community. The holidays are about being with family, and the Benjamin community is a family too, one that I always feel proud to be a member of, especially at this time of year,” says Haley.

Junior Andrew Shim performed in the assembly with the band, adding his percussion skills to the talented orchestra.

“We were brought upon the challenge of performing a few pieces at the assembly including Hanukkah, Medley, and Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring,” mentions Shim. 

Mr.Carr shared a story of his own about his family traditions and experiences.

“I’m always happy to do that and the idea of sharing stories is always a good thing. The big part of that assembly is to get everyone together and thinking about the holidays and a lot of the good memories. I would love for {people} to get in touch with Dr.Haley or the Pharcyde to shared their stories. It is sort of more of a representation of the holidays” says Carr. 

The Holiday Assembly was a great way to start off the holiday season before students depart for Winter Break after exams.